You encounter countless pollutants on a daily basis. There are pesticides on foods, pollution in the air, heavy metals in water, and so much more. All of that builds up in your body.
Sure, the body has ways of expelling toxins through sweat, urine, feces, and through your liver but when there are too many toxins, your body won’t be able to process them quickly in order to eliminate them completely. When the toxins don’t get eliminated they are stored in your tissues and cells where they can cause harm including serious issues like certain types of cancer.
This is caused by something known as toxic overload. Some signs of this are belly fat accumulation, bloating, constipation, fatigue, flatulence, food cravings, headaches, halitosis, lack of energy, mood swings, nausea, unhealthy skin, and general aches and pains.
Reasons to Detoxify Your Body
By detoxifying your body you can help your body clear out these toxins in a more efficient way so they don’t settle in your cells and tissue. You can enable your body, especially your liver, to function better as it won’t feel overloaded by the excess toxins.
There are medical procedures that you can go through to detoxify your body, but detox drinks are a simple way to get the same effects without a doctor. There are natural ingredients that you can use to make delicious and beneficial beverages that will clear all of the toxins from your system at home.
Once you see how easy it is and how well detox drinks work, you’ll be more than willing to add them to your normal healthy routine.
Ingredients for Detox Drinks
There are many prepacked detox drinks that you can find. Such is the the Science Based Green Detox (my review is here). But fruits, vegetables, and herbs are mixed in water to make detox drinks. Every different ingredient can offer different properties that will work in your body to cleanse it properly. Here are some of the common ingredients that you can use to make your own detox drinks along with the benefits that they can provide.
- Cucumber: these fight free radical damage as well as inflammation thanks to their nutrients. Cucumbers contain polyphenol compounds that are known to slow down the natural aging process that happens from oxidative stress that comes from free radicals. As a natural diuretic, cucumbers can promote urination which removes toxins from your liver and decrease bloating.
- Lemon: one of the more well-known detox ingredients, lemons have vitamin C and ascorbic acid which are great for cleansing your body. They can also help with digestion and clear up your skin. Vitamin C also helps stimulate the production of white blood cells while boosting your immune system. They can also provide you with a natural boost of energy while also aiding in weight loss. This is thanks to the pectin, a certain type of fiber that helps you feel full.
- Lime: similar to lemons, limes have vitamin C as well as antioxidants that can help strengthen your immune system and fight off free radical damage. Limes promote glutathione-S-transferase (GST) in the liver, too. This is an enzyme that aids in cleansing your body. Similarly, flavonoids in limes promote the secretion of bile and acids in your digestive system which can help you process food better.
- Mint: this herb isn’t just tasty but it’s also a food that has one of the highest amounts of antioxidants. It gives you a boost of energy while also soothing your digestive system. Mint can also help bile flow naturally in your stomach to help speed up your digestion. This removes toxins from your body faster while also decreasing the chance of bloating and flatulence. The antimicrobial properties of the herb can also help with bad breath.
- Strawberries: the anti-inflammatory antioxidants in strawberries are widely discussed for their health benefits. They help battle joint pain and inflammation while flavonoids help fight off the signs of aging. Similarly, the compounds in strawberries can help decrease your risk for disease including cancer and cardiovascular disorders. The berry also contains vitamins A and C which battle toxins naturally.
- Watermelon: this fruit is low in calories and adds hydration to your body. It can fight inflammation and help rid your body of free radicals that enter your system through pollutants in the air. You’ll also get vitamin A and B that help fight aging. Watermelon also has lycopene which is a strong antioxidant that can help remove toxins from your body. There is also potassium and magnesium in the fruit that can help with your blood flow. Proper blood flow helps with detoxification as it can flush out your system.
Other common and beneficial ingredients used in detox drinks are apple cider vinegar, aloe vera gel, dandelion, ginger, grapefruit, raspberries, and rosemary. All you have to do is add the ingredients you want to your water and allow the mixture to sit for a few hours in the refrigerator so the ingredients infuse into the water. You can combine different ones to get multiple benefits as well as creating delicious flavor combinations. Usually, you’ll need to drink at least one-half of a gallon of the detox drink a day to get the proper benefits of the ingredients.